white hatter
Tuesday, July 12, 2005
 
Not my thoughts

Last night I went to a class where I learned all about how I am not my thoughts. Its an idea that keeps popping up in my life, and every time it does I marvel at what a potent idea it is, and how simple, but then I forget it until the next time.
Its cool enough that I'm going to try to explain it.
Through the day I have all these thoughts, and all these judgements of the world around me. These thoughts that I have distract my attention from my experience, and these judgement I have color my experience with qualities that I attribute to it.
That's the philosophical description of what I do. But this is what's really important. I don't have to believe the thoughts and judgements that I have.
What an amazing idea! Just realising it lifts the weight from my shoulders and leaves me free. For having realised the nature of my thoughts and judgements, I am no longer a slave to them. I can, if I want, choose to see the thought coming, recognize it for what it is, and then let it go. I can choose not to let it exert any control over me.
I can choose to live beyond my thoughts and judgements. I can jump off of their rollercoaster, and content myself with watching its somersaults.
Comments:

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Blogarama
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Listed on Blogwise Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com